- Following the DC riots last week perpetrated by Trump supporters, social media companies and Big Tech services have cracked down on far-right content.
- In the wake of the far-right social platform Parler being shut down, now Trump supporters are engaged in a kind of digital diaspora, flocking to other apps and services.
- These users are moving to platforms like Gab, MeWe, and Rumble, as well as to messaging services like Telegram and Signal.
The social media and Big Tech clampdown on President Trump has been swift and relentless in the wake of his incendiary public comments last week that stoked the DC riots, which have already resulted in dozens of arrests, at least five deaths, and many more arrests coming. During a press conference on Tuesday, acting US attorney for the District of Columbia Michael Sherwin told reporters: “Yesterday, my office organized a strike force of prosecutors whose only orders are to build sedition charges related to the most heinous acts that occurred in the Capitol." The maximum sentence possible for a sedition charge is 20 years in prison, he added, and while 70 people have been arrested so far for their participation in the rioting by Trump supporters, around 100 or so additional criminal cases have been opened.
Accordingly, tech companies from Facebook and Twitter to others like Google have alternately banned, suspended, and scrubbed President's Trump content from their services. The YouTube suspension came on Tuesday, with the service removing the president's channel for at least a week for earning a strike as per the platform's policies (though YouTube didn't point to what content specifically earned the president this action). Meantime, in the wake of the shutdown of the controversial social network favored by the far-right called Parler, Trump supporters are now finding a slowly diminishing number of safe spaces for them on the internet.
Today's Top Deal
Purell is still so hard to find in stores - but it's discounted at Amazon!
Price: $61.38 ($0.64/Fl Oz)
You Save: $14.22 (19%)
Today's Top Deals
- Study says this one thing is 20 times more likely to help you sleep than other sleep aids
- Sorry, but only Prime members can score these 10 Amazon deals
- America’s running out of N95 masks – so people are getting these instead for $2
Trending Right Now:
- Moderna just made an amazing announcement about its coronavirus vaccine
- ‘Big announcement’ from Apple teased for tomorrow morning
- Dr. Fauci discusses the only side effect he felt from his coronavirus vaccine
After Parler was shut down, here’s where Trump supporters are gathering on the internet originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:02:22 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Via BRG - Boy Genius Report