- Apple CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday unveiled a series of major projects and investments under the banner of the iPhone maker's previously announced Racial Equity and Justice Initiative.
- The company first announced the racial justice initiative back in the summer, in the wake of the killing and subsequent protests over the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and others.
- Apple's investments include a developer academy, as well as venture funding for companies led by minority entrepreneurs.
Apple CEO Tim Cook kicked off his 10th year as the iPhone maker's CEO by announcing several big donations as part of the company's previously unveiled Racial Equity and Justice Initiative -- an effort that includes Apple launching an Apple Developer Academy to teach coding to students in Detroit. Apple is also launching new venture capital funding for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.
Additionally, this effort includes a $25 million gift to the Propel Center, which Apple describes as a first-of-its-kind global innovation and learning hub for Historically Black Colleges and Universities. All of which is part and parcel of Cook having spent much of his time leading Apple by increasingly trying to position the company as a force for societal change, beyond it being merely a fantastically successful technology giant. And for proof that Cook's philosophy is sinking in among customers, ahead of Wednesday's announcement people were guessing that today's news might be something along the lines of turning Apple stores into coronavirus vaccine centers.
Today's Top Deal
Amazon coupon slashes best-selling face masks to just $2.12 each
You Save: $7.50 (15%)
Today's Top Deals
- Sorry, but only Prime members can score these 10 Amazon deals
- Study says this one thing is 20 times more likely to help you sleep than other sleep aids
- $7.50 Kasa smart plugs are back at Amazon after selling out last month
Trending Right Now:
- It looks like you’re actually going to get a $2,000 stimulus check – here’s when
- After Parler was shut down, here’s where Trump supporters are gathering on the internet
- Here’s when Biden will reveal his plan to send $2,000 stimulus checks
Apple just made a huge announcement that no one saw coming originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 12:12:09 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Via BRG - Boy Genius Report