- The House Budget Committee approved Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package on Monday.
- In addition to a new round of $1,400 stimulus checks, the bill would gradually increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour over the next four years.
- The minimum wage hike faces opposition from at least two Senate Democrats, but the progressive wing of the party has a backup plan to get them on board.
President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package was approved by the House Budget Committee on Monday, bringing it one step closer to a full House vote later this week. With the government's $300 per week unemployment benefits set to expire on March 14th, Democrats want to push their bill through Congress as quickly as possible, but there's one major roadblock that could gum up the works when it reaches the Senate.
As it stands, the provision to gradually raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025 is still in the relief bill. In all likelihood, it will remain in the bill until it reaches the Senate, but with the Senate split 50-50, Democrats need every member of their party to vote for the bill in order to send it to Biden's desk. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) have both expressed their discomfort with the idea of including a minimum wage hike in the reconciliation bill, but their colleagues might have a backup plan to get them on board.
Today's Top Deal
Sleek black KN95 masks that Amazon shoppers are obsessed with just hit the lowest price ever!
You Save: $2.00 (12%)
Today's Top Deals
- This $19 pad wirelessly charges your iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch at once
- This one thing is 20x more likely to cure insomnia than other sleep aids, and it’s 60% off at Amazon
- People are stocking up on these 5 things at Amazon since grocery hoarding made them hard to find
Trending Right Now:
- CDC says there’s one thing you shouldn’t do within 2 weeks of your coronavirus vaccine
- This drug might block the coronavirus without any pills or injections
- This gorgeous 360-degree video from NASA’s Mars lander will take your breath away
Democrats are fighting for something even more important than new stimulus checks originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 12:06:26 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Via BRG - Boy Genius Report